Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Protein Overdose

...or lack thereof. I lost more weight in 2 weeks at my parents house than I did in almost 2 months time at home and frankly..it's pissing me off. I go to the gym almost daily for at LEAST 90 mins. I eat 16-1700 calories a day..and I still find myself only losing 1.5 lbs a week, if that! My sister Heidi and I have come to the conclusion that my body just has some screwed up super-sensitivity to carbs. And when I don't get enough protein into my system..it doesn't matter how many calories I ate. I won't lose.

Maeli tells me I should be getting in around 180-190g of protein a day (as does every website I've looked at). And it's FREAKING HARD! I got in 105 yesterday...127 the day before. But I'm still struggling with it! In Florida I had both parents helping me immensely by making protein shakes twice a day and always having protein bars on hand. And I was just more careful I guess. Having 8 people in a one floor house tends to make you very conscious about what you eat haha. But I was also a lot more active. Not only did I get in workout time at the gym, but there was always something else going on. Golfing, the beach, bike riding, family outings..you name it. At home, I tend to keep to myself more and with the cold, crappy weather..it's even less incentive to go anywhere!

So this week, Nathan and I decided to pull out our "Iron Will" selves and really get serious about things. No eating after 7. No eating out (unless it's Subway). No desserts and hopefully LOTS of protein. So we'll see how it goes. Our Jilly's Losers competition ends in a little less than 2 weeks and I'm in 3rd place. So, if I want any chance at moving up in the ranks, I need to work my ass off!! So bring on the protein overdose!

2 comments:

  1. My personal high was ~180 grams of protein in a day. It really isn't easy... especially being a vegetarian...

    I would start the day with a slow absorbing protein shake, then I'd have another one around 10:30... then another one around 3:00... finally when I got home it was time to work out, and I would have a quick-absorbing protein shake pre-workout and post-workout.

    Not to mention, I made sure I was eating. Especially the faux meats (veggie ribs and hot dogs are my favorites). I kept this up five days a week (I didn't workout on weekends, but I kept my protein up), for two months... I looked and felt great.

    Not easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Ben... I mean Jilly :-) Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete