Friday, September 20, 2013

Biggest Loser Resort - Day 6!

Today was amazing in so many ways.  I think maybe because it was our last full day of workouts and our last workout with our head trainer, the amazing Betty :)  We've all gotten so close as a group and we're getting sad that it's coming to an end.  It just made us appreciate everything a little bit more today, I think.

We started today with "Smackdown"!  We were so excited to get to do a boxing/kickboxing class.  Unfortunately since this is still a brand new resort, they didn't have the boxing gloves yet for us, so we didn't get to go all out, but it was a lot of fun and a great stress reliever.  Not to mention HARD.  Imagine doing two jabs, a squat, a sidekick and then a burpee.....over and over and over.  The sweat (which is both stylish and free Betty says) flowed freely.  But it was a fun workout for sure.  Lisa, the trainer, does this stuff all the time and used to be a hardcore power lifter as well.  She's TOUGH.  I wouldn't want to run into her in a back alley haha.



After an hour of that, we had breakfast and I had to chuckle a little bit.  Something that all of us have noticed this week after detoxing from our usual diets...is that fruit tastes MUCH sweeter.  It's almost like a dessert.  And this morning they served cantaloupe with breakfast.  I hate cantaloupe.  I always have.  Like....seriously hated it.  But I was really hungry and that's what there was, so I decided to take a bite....and then a bunch more until it was gone.  It tasted so much better than I remember it EVER tasting.  Now if only grapefruit could make this same change on my tastebuds!


After breakfast, we went for our morning outdoor workout.  We all knew what it was because they'd told us when we ran on Monday that we'd have to do it again on Friday to see how we compared.  I was really nervous because this time we weren't running it on fresh legs.  I was already sore and exhausted as hell before we even started.  I decided to just make sure that I at least did the same distance that I had on Monday, even if I couldn't jog as much of it.  I barely managed, and holy crap was it hard....but it felt so great to know that even after all I've put my body through this week...I could still crank out almost 6 miles in 90 minutes.  My body can apparently do lots of things that I didn't know it could.  Who knew!  I was the most proud of Amy though.  She was determined to crush her Monday distance and she did...by more than a mile.  That girl LAPPED ME hahaha.  I tried to outrun her when I saw her coming up behind me but she blew past me pretty quick. I want to be like her when I grow up!



Before a delicious lunch of baked chicken and risotto..and some AMAZING potato artichoke soup that I'm trying to get the recipe for...we had a lecture with Lisa.  We got to talk a lot about fitness and workout gear and what to look for in a personal trainer and it was a lot of fun.  She said that when looking for a trainer, you should make sure they can do 3 basic things.  A PROPER squat...a lunge (both knees at 90 degrees) and a full pushup.  Because if a trainer can't lift their own body weight how can they help you lift yours?  Of course we all asked her to demonstrate and got to watch her do 4-5 guy pushups haha.  Man she's impressive.  I also want to be like HER when I grow up haha.


We were supposed to get a zumba workout today, which I had been looking forward to for quite a while.  I was really bummed to hear that the zumba instructor is out of town at a zumba convention of all things.  Betty promised us a fun workout in its place.  This is what it looked like BEFORE we started...



But very quickly, this playground turned into Betty's torture chamber.  We were using the equipment to do pushups and planks and abdominal crunches and dips and running around going up and down the slides.  Holy hell it was HARD!  And there was some poor little girl there with her dad trying not to get run over lol.  I will never look at a playground the same.  But Betty showed us that no matter where you are, you can ALWAYS find a way to get in a workout!  There's no excuse!

Our last workout of the day was our last one with Betty, and while she kicked our butts with some cardio and resistance band intervals, she let us end on the most awesome note....dragging her down the hall by resistance bands.  If you've ever seen Biggest Loser you can probably picture Jillian holding onto some bands that are wrapped around a person's waist and using all her weight and strength to hold them back as they try to run.  Yup...we did that.  Down a really long hall and back.  I think I did a decent job of giving her a run for her money but man was it a muscle burner.  It was SO FUN though!  We got her sweating pretty good by the time we'd all done it.  I'm going to miss her most of all I think.  (Ignore the fact that my tank top was pulled down under my sports bra by the resistance bands lol.  It was definitely a wardrobe malfunction kind of day for me.  I also found out that I'd had my capris on inside out for our playground workout hahaha)


After a nice long stretch, we got to dinner.  This was the one I'd been nervous about all week.  When the dietician called me before my trip, they asked if there's any food I don't like.  I told her seafood, BUT I also told her that I was willing to try anything while I'm here.  I wanted to try  new recipes and new tastes and just open myself to new experiences food wise.  Tonight was salmon night.  Going into the dining hall I was already feeling nauseated from our workouts and knowing I was going to eat fish wasn't helping.  But I made myself take a bite.  And WOW was I surprised.  I wolfed that thing down.  It was so unbelievably good.  So many other people had switched out the salmon for other things tonight, but I'm so glad I just sucked it up and tried it.  I'll have to learn to make it at home.  I'm sure my hubby will love that.  He loves seafood, but I refuse to make it.  Here's to some new dinners when I get home!


After dinner, we were supposed to have a movie night, but no one was really in the mood, so we just sat around for a good hour or so chatting with Mark.  I'm so glad we did that instead.  He is so funny and just easy to talk to.  He has some great stories and I really could just sit and talk with him for hours lol.  You know, if he didn't have a life outside of work that is haha.  Poor guy was so nice to stick around and chat with us for so long.  Just another person I've met this week that I have learned so much from and that I hope to stay in touch with after we've all gone our separate ways.


Tomorrow morning is our weigh-out, followed by our last chance workout.  Kind of in the wrong order, but we all wanted to weigh BEFORE we eat haha.  I'm excited to see the results.  But for now...bedtime!!!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing week you've had :) You've just rocked it over and over again! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete