Friday, April 11, 2014

The Bod Pod...

This....is a Bod Pod


This is what I had to wear to go into the Bod Pod. (Behold all my lovely extra skin!!)

I've been wanting to do this for a very long time, and I really wish I had forked over the dough to do it when I first started losing weight so that I could compare.  But it was still really cool!  (I did find my results from my very first pinch test back in 2010 when I was 330.6lbs and that showed me at 47% body fat, but the pinch test isn't super accurate.) The Bod Pod is the most accurate way to find out your body fat % and weight.  After going through many weeks/months where I wanted to throw my own scale out the window...I'm glad I finally took the time/spent the money to go and find out where I REALLY stand.

You basically step on a scale and then go sit in the pod (which is freezing against your bare skin) for three 40 second timed sessions where they open and reclose it.  It seals up and you can kind of feel/hear it working.  It is measuring the amount of air displaced by your body.  It's quick and painless!

Here's my results!


It's kind of hard to see, but it says that my body fat is 33.5%.  My lean mass is 139.2lbs and my fat mass is 70.1lbs. My weight on their scale was 209.3. (My home scale is only about .6lbs less than that which is great) Can I just tell you how much I squealed and jumped up and down to see that?  Both my scale at home and the body composition tester at my gym have me at about 40.5%.  They are far less accurate.  It was SOOOOOOOOO great to see that I am 7% less than what I thought!  It's also pretty damn great to see that I am only 3.5% away from being in the "moderately lean" category which "indicates general good health".  That is pretty freaking great.  I feel very proud right now!

Another thing I did learn is that with my resting metabolic rate being 1,756 kcal/day...I'm most likely not eating enough.  That's the amount of calories my body burns every day just existing.  I'm only eating about 1,500 calories a day AND exercising on top of that.  But the lady told me if I'm feeling okay and have enough energy doing it that way then I'm fine.  But it's still really neat to see that number and know that even on my rest days (when I actually take one), my body is still burning a good amount of calories!

I highly recommend that anyone trying to lose weight take the time to track down a bod pod screening.  I always tell my Jilly's Losers people that there is SO MUCH MORE to this journey than the number that shows on the scale.  That number doesn't tell you anything really.  You could have 2 people who weigh the exact same, but one of them have far more fat than the other one and you wouldn't know it just by looking at the scale.  Seeing where I really stand has re-motivated me to keep going.  I'm going to do this again in 2 months and see what's changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment