Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Boot Camp....broken or not...

Before breaking my foot, I had decided that I would kick off 2017 with a Boot Camp season in my weight loss group (Jilly's Losers) to get us all back on track after a more than indulgent holiday season. It was going to be a balls to the wall, no excuses kind of season.

After breaking my foot, I decided...not to change a damn thing. This was the perfect opportunity for me to live what I preach and to truly not let ANYTHING become an excuse for me to not turn things around and get healthy again.

Weighing on one foot, I will admit, is not an easy thing to do. But I've managed it. And during our first week I lost 2.4lbs :) And that's with a big freaking cast on, a screw in my foot AND without my usual exercise routine! I focused on eating more fruits/veggies/protein and less carbs. More eating at home and less trips to the drive thru. LOTS more water...and yes, even some exercise.

Part of the boot camp season is that everything is mandatory...including the challenges. Our first week involved a fitness test that had to be repeated twice.

Complete 1 mile (however you want...bike, walk, elliptical, etc)
3 strength exercises of your choice for 1 minute each (squats, crunches, etc) - Count how many
1 cardio exercise for 1 minute (jacks, high knees, mountain climbers, etc) - Count how many

Right off the bat I had myself wondering how I was going to manage to keep myself from getting disqualified, but I made it work. I used my little portable bike pedals as a handbike and did my mile on that. I managed pushups, crunches and some overhead presses for my strength exercises (though I needed help getting up off the floor haha). And for my cardio, I did seated high knees. While it wasn't ideal, it still worked and it still helped me to gauge my fitness level given my current circumstances.

This week we're doing an exercise ladder. It may prove a bit harder, but I'm determined to complete as much of it as I possibly can!!

NO EXCUSES. Not even legitimate ones! :) 3 weeks down, 1 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment