Friday, April 14, 2017

Day 44...lasagna and breadsticks :-/

Thursday was tough. I went to Zumba in the morning...which was great. I even got to teach a song in preparation for going back to teaching my class on the 24th. But my foot was sore all day long afterwards. More sore than it's been in a couple weeks (and still am today). I may need to spend the weekend staying off it. Being in pain makes it harder to focus on my eating and that drives me crazy.

My 13 year old and I had a church dinner to attend and I had no idea going into it what would be served. Most things are modifiable. But I went into it starving...and that's never a good idea. As we sat down at the table they brought breadsticks from Little Caesars. Having a son who works there, I know how good those are!! I haven't had bread in a VERY long time...but I had 1 breadstick last night and it was heavenly. And then they brought out dinner. Olive Garden salad and .....lasagna. Seriously? Lasagna? There's no modifying lasagna that you didn't make yourself. So I took a deep breath and just went with it. I had two helpings of salad (after picking off the croutons) and then ate half of my slice of lasagna. I figured if I couldn't control what I was eating, I could at least control how MUCH of it I ate. I ate slow to let myself feel full, instead focusing on socializing with friends... and felt okay about how I did in the end. But eating my first pasta and real bread in 6 weeks made it even harder when they brought out these amazing looking browies, pb bars and lemon bars. I thought poor Ari was going to burst into tears haha. We stayed strong, but man...it was harder than it's been in a long time.

When all was said and done I stayed plenty far under my calorie goal for the day even though I was over on my carbs by about 20g. I'm curious to see if/how that affects my body over the next couple of days...but hopefully it doesn't. It definitely reminded me of how carbs don't keep you full very long though. Since starting on Keto, I've had no problem keeping all my meals between 11am(ish) and 7pm(ish)...but this morning I'm really struggling with hunger pangs. At least I don't feel sick this morning which means I didn't overdo it! When you go a long time eating whole foods and avoiding sugars/processed foods/grains...your body starts to heal itself. Going back to eating those things after a while tends to make me feel pretty freaking miserable, so I'm grateful that didn't happen this time.

I'm also grateful that this way of eating has kept me on track during this week off from Jilly's Losers. In the past when we've had our 1 week break between seasons, I've used it as an excuse to eat everything in sight and then some. So it feels good to still be on track and to be in control. I may even post a loss during our week off and that NEVER happens!

Now it's time to figure out how to tweak our Easter traditions to avoid sugar and some of our usual traditional foods! I'll be SO glad when those huge containers of Cadbury mini-eggs are GONE from the stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment