Monday, April 3, 2017

Week 5 highlights...birthdays, sweet substitutes sickness and sanity...

Week 5 isn't over yet, but I realized I hadn't posted anything about it yet, so here goes!

This week felt like a bit more of a struggle. We celebrated my hubby's birthday and managed to do it without any sugar!! Well..he got some cookies the kids picked out for him, but since he's not a cake person, I didn't have to worry about that. I took him to our favorite cafe for breakfast, which was a real test of my will power. Sills has the most amazing scones and pancakes in the world. Seriously. Luckily they also have the most amazing bacon, so I ate lots of that with my denver omelette. I told them no toast and no scone on the side and thought I was in the clear. But of course they brought me a plate with like a full pound of hash browns on it, which I also love. Luckily theirs aren't my favorite, so I was able to box them up to take home for the kids without too much whining. Nathan was a real trooper. Even he didn't get a scone, which I'm sure he wanted. Love that man.

On Saturday, we drove an hour to watch my oldest compete in the Utah Colorguard Circuit finals and of course all the snacks they had there were off limits for me. Pizza, nachos, caramel apples. Blah. Luckily none of it was even remotely tempting, but I had forgotten to bring anything that I COULD have, so it was hard to just sit and watch the kids eat them. To make up for it, we stopped at Zupas on the way home. I love that I can still fit some of my favorites into my macros. I've had to change up the salad I get (Their California Protein Cobb has the least amount of carbs), but I still get to enjoy my Wisconsin Cauliflower soup *drools*. Being able to feel like I'm indulging once in a while is key for me. If I feel too deprived then I will quit.

Speaking of feeling deprived, I decided to try a few things this week that I hadn't planned on, but decided that since they fit into my macros and don't have sugar...then I can have them dangit! My awesome friend, Amanda, gave me a recipe for what she calls "fat bombs". At first I told myself I wouldn't make them because they feel like a "treat", but since they're sweetened with agave, which is better than honey as far as sugar content goes...I decided to make them. The girls were especially grateful. They're just agave, natural peanut butter, unsweetened 100% dark cacao and coconut oil. Each serving I made is about the size of one piece of a kit kat bar and has 133 cals, 3.6g net carbs and about 12g of fat. Fat bombs indeed! So when I need a little sweet something, they're perfect. Thanks Amanda!

The second thing I decided to try was almond flour. Since I've been keeping my net carbs under 40g a day, bread/muffins/etc are pretty much out of the question. A single slice of most breads contains over 20g of carbs and it's NOT worth it to me. But yesterday I felt as though if I didn't get SOMETHING that felt carby and comforting, I was going to lose it. So I looked up a recipe for some almond flour muffins that are sweetened with stevia. I decided to make them lemon poppyseed and they were great! Definitely not as good as the high calorie version, but they did the trick and only had about 6g net carbs.

I am loving learning all of these new things that I can fit into keto! The hard thing now will be not turning to carbs while I'm sick. 5 of the 6 of us have nasty sore throats/stuffy noses and the last thing I want to do is cook or worry about what goes into my mouth. But I know I need to. No excuses! I'm hoping that avoiding the sugar and carbs that I'd normally eat while sick will actually help me to get better quicker. I'm so grateful to feel like I have control again. It is truly life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment