Monday, May 23, 2011

The first big change...

The first big change we've made to our family's diet is replacing all our bread/buns/tortillas/etc with 100% whole wheat products. And yanno...they're pretty damn good! I think I got lucky. I know a lot of kids would whine at their parents, but mine just eat it like it's not any different from what they used to eat. The bread part I've kind of been easing into over the past few months by working Sara Lee's 45 calorie whole wheat and honey bread into everyone's sandwiches and toast but now we're going all out!

Saturday I grilled some pork chops (yay george foreman grill) and made them into sandwiches on whole wheat buns. Then last night we tried Philly cooking creme for the first time and made some whole wheat enchiladas with a mix of low fat mozzerella and cheddar cheese. SO good! Of course there was still room for some low-fat chocolate brownie frozen yogurt but hey.

It feels good to not have to restrict myself anymore. I know I'll probably do the hcg thing again at one point, but right now it's just too stressful for me. I think what was said in one of the comments on my last post is true. When you have more than 7 things on your mind at once, it's infinitely harder to make the right choices when it comes to food. With everything going on here, I definitely have more than 7 things on my mind! So I'm not eating perfectly by any means, but I'm eating healthiER than I was. Low-fat cottage cheese and peaches for breakfast and I'm good to go! Now if the weather holds out, I'll go for a walk.

So here's to making changes, one little thing at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Jilly!

    This week I read an awesome motivator in a magazine that I thought you'd appreciate. The next time you're feeling particularly discouraged and unmotivated and have to go to the grocery store, grab a couple of hand baskets and load them up with 43 lbs. (!!! as of this post :D) of lard. Now it has to be lard or maybe Crisco if your store doesn't carry lard (great word, huh?) in Costco-esque quantities.

    Then lug it around while you do your regular shopping. Just before you check out, put it back. There's no way that after doing that you won't be thrilled to be able to get rid of that burden, and so happy to know that you've worked hard to rid yourself of that much flab. Pay attention to how much lighter and more free you feel without it.

    We are SOOOO proud of you and what you've been able to do. With the changes you've made in your diet and exercise, you'll still see progress, just keep it up.

    Be especially careful with the move. I've found that moving and vacationing can be the most dangerous for my good intentions.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete