Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 8 and cupcakes! OY!

Day 8 (3/8) was pretty uneventful for the most part. I had my first day of physical therapy and found out that my range of motion hasn't suffered too much. I just need to strengthen my muscles a bit more and still have some pain to get through. But it's nice to feel like I'm progressing a bit further to actually exercising the way I want to.

One thing that I learned on day 8 is that I'm not as hungry as I used to be...and since my cravings are slowly fading, I'm not eating out of boredom. I nearly forgot lunch until about 3pm and finally just downed a quick Premier Protein shake just to get some calories in me.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased the premium version of My Fitness Pal so that I can track my macros (carbs, protein, fat) more carefully. The goal that I set after using a pretty neat keto calculator is 1400 cals, 40 net carbs (or less), 100g protein and 93g fat every day. And Day 8 came pretty close! I came in at 1280cal, 28 net carbs, 100g protein and 82 fat. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around needing to eat more fat since essentially what I'm doing is training my body to use that for fuel instead of carbs. It's definitely an adjustment.

The hardest part of the day came when my 13 year old and I attended the baby shower of one of my dear friends and her old Young Women's president (church). All night long there was sugar everywhere it seemed! Most noticeably in the cupcakes that the girls had made themselves. Anyone who knows me knows that baked goods are a huge trigger/weakness for me!


My poor daughter kept looking at me with sad eyes and so I gave her a hug and reminded her that this was her choice and that if she really wanted a cupcake she could choose to have one. But she said she really wanted to do this with me and passed on all the treats being passed around. I was so proud of her! We talked about how there will always be treats available and when our 3 months is up, we'll enjoy something that will be totally worth the wait. One thing I've really been trying to tell myself when I have to pass up treats is that I'm just passing them up for now. They still exist. I can always get one later. It's not a once in a lifetime opportunity I'm passing up.

So day 8 was another success although I'll admit I'm getting a bit frustrated with the scale. It was 278.8 this morning, so at least it didn't go up again...but it should be going DOWN! Hopefully it's just my body adjusting to all the changes. I know the first week's loss was a lot of water weight and now my body is trying to figure out what's next. This is where I struggle though. When I don't see change...I tend to give up. But not this time. I can wait it out. I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment