Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Week 1 results...and pizza. mmmm pizzaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

As yesterday (Day 7 - 3/7/17) came to a close, I couldn't believe I had actually gone an entire week with NO sugar and NO bread/pasta/potatoes/grains. Seriously. Who does that??? I think I did it once before when I tried out the South Beach diet, but for some reason it didn't feel quite this extreme. Maybe because I knew it would only be a couple weeks. And for some reason...this time...my hardest day came on day 7.

I honestly thought that if the rest of the week had been pretty easy...that maybe I had gotten lucky and my cravings were gone and it'd just be smooth sailing from here. HA! I got a bit cocky and I guess the cravings were punishment. On the menu for my dinner I had put bacon-wrapped avocado fries. I was really wanting something indulgent, but also very low carb. Since my husband and I are the only ones who will eat them, however, I decided I was strong enough to order pizza for the kids. And not just any pizza...STUFFED CRUST pizza. See how cocky I was? I was sure that I could handle it. I was now super woman and nothing could tempt me! BRING IT ON PIZZA HUT!

Yeah, not so much. The pizza came way before the bacon avocado fries were ready and as I was cutting up Cooper's slice, it hit me. HARD. Pizza is probably my biggest non-sugar weakness. I could eat it all the time. Seriously. I LOVE PIZZA. But after a whole week of no bread whatsoever, this tiny slice of stuffed crust cheese pizza looked like heaven and smelled even better. I looked at his litte pieces cut up and thought to myself, "I can just have one little bite. It will satisfy my craving and then I can move on." And I almost did it. But for the first time in as long as I can remember, I was able to remember what that kind of food does to me and how slippery a slope it is for me. So I finished cutting it up for him and then ran to hide in my room while the kids ate their pizza. I did take 2 garlic parmesan wings that we'd ordered because they're low carb and I thought maybe they would tide me over until my dinner was ready.

As I sat in my bedroom, I got onto Facebook and logged into my group and pleaded with my friends to talk me out of marching back into the kitchen and saying screw it. I REALLY wanted that pizza. My stomach was twisting and my mouth was watering and it was almost scary..the reaction my body had to knowing it was in the next room. And as I knew they would, the comments flooded in...and they saved me from myself. Such a small thing was such a big deal to me and I can't thank them enough. I truly could not embark on a journey like this with out so many amazing and supportive friends and family.

So I survived. I didn't have a single bite of pizza. Not one. And at the end of the day I was at 27g net carbs, which is really hard for me to do. For breakfast I had tried my first "1 carb waffle" which was actually 2 carbs because that's what's in my protein powder...and it felt good to at least FEEL like I was eating a waffle! haha. Lunch was a fajita salad that was to die for. Romaine and power greens topped with steak and chicken, peppers, onions, salsa, cheese, guac and sour cream. Definitely going to have to make that one a regular.


It's been a week, but I'm still learning what affects my body in what ways. I had very low carbs yesterday, but I was extremely high in sodium, which I'm definitely feeling today and which is why the scale isn't as low as it was yesterday. But it's just water retention and that's okay! I'm learning that on this kind of diet, more sodium is actually necessary because of the amount of electrolytes lost. I'll figure out what works best for my body eventually.

So what's the grand weight loss tally after 7 days? Well when I made the decision to do this I was 284.1lbs. Not a number I'm happy to be sharing. It's hard to admit that I was 15lbs higher than I was at 9 months pregnant in December of 2014. but it's the last time I'm going to see it, so say goodbye. On the morning of day 7, I weighed in at 277.2, which is 6.9lbs down and I was pretty excited about that! Now that day 7 is over, today's weight was 278.9...but I'm not too worried about it because I can physically feel the water I'm retaining and know that it will most likely be gone tomorrow.

I'm excited to see what week 2 brings and to hopefully start working out a bit more! I can totally do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment