Saturday, March 11, 2017

Days 9 & 10, walking, pilates and unexpected dinners!

Thursday and Friday weren't too bad at all. I worked 3 hours at the gym on Thursday putting together membership packets and helping our daycare with some craft projects! It was actually kind of fun haha. It's been nice to be up and moving around a bit more though I still wear out faster than I used to.

I had to do a little adjusting as far as my meal plan went for the day since I'm truly being beat over the head with just how much sugar there is in most fruits. I had planned cottage cheese with fruit for breakfast, but all I had was pineapple & mandarin oranges and since the oranges were planned for my asian salad at lunch, I figured I'd have to just have my cottage cheese plain. It actually wasn't too bad. But man, I'm missing my tropical fruits! Even when it came time for that asian salad, I had to cut the oranges serving in half because a full serving was something like 25g of sugar/carbs. It really is insane how much there is in certain fruits. It's hard to stick just to berries some days.

But dinner was fantastic. I made stuff for tacos with ground turkey and while everyone else had theirs in tortillas, I used romaine leaves for my shells! It was SO good and I didn't feel left out, which was nice. I came in at 37g net carbs for the day and was pretty proud of that. Still only eating about 1200 calories a day, but it's just because I'm really not that hungry. It's odd to not be eating nearly as much as I was just a few weeks ago and to still feel satisfied.

Friday was a big day for me. It was the day my surgeon told me I could start transitioning from my walking boot to a regular shoe. It's scary how weak my right leg has gotten, but it was exciting to walk around my house (albeit with a huge limp) without that stupid boot on! At physical therapy, they had me practice rolling my foot through a walking motion and it still hurts pretty bad (hence the limping)...and I was unable to do standing calf raises without significant pain...but I still feel like I'm making progress towards getting back to normal, which is great.

I decided to try and go back to pilates with my good friend/trainer, Dee, as well. She knows about my injury and how to work around it so she managed to kick my butt without ever hurting my foot. Gotta love her. I haven't been this sore in months and I'm GRATEFUL for it. I needed a workout like that. I'm so grateful to have someone like her in my life who motivates me and pushes me when things get tough. She helped me lose the weight the first time and I know she'll help me do it again.

Friday night we were blessed to have dinner brought over by my daughter's best friend's family. Not knowing what to expect, I made sure to save enough carbs to enjoy whatever they were going to make because EVERYTHING they've ever brought us has been amazing! I was excited when I realized that I had saved enough carbs to enjoy some of the roast potatoes and carrots that went with the pork loin (of which I ate probably 3 servings haha). After not having any bread or pasta or potatoes for 10 days, even just those few bites tasted AMAZING.

I really have to say how proud I am of my two girls during this whole no sugar challenge. Since they are in school, they're constantly surrounded by treats and candy and offered things that are currently off the list. And they've gotten REALLY good at saying no thank you! They do tend to ask me quite often "does this count?" when it comes to various things because they know there are things that have sugar in them, but that aren't "dessert" so I'm letting them have them. So I think they're looking for loop holes anywhere they can haha. But they're both starting to notice how much sweeter everything else tastes when you're not inhaling sugar by the spoonful in everything you eat. I wasn't sure they'd want to do this after the first week, but they're still going strong and it makes it so much easier for me to do the same :)

No comments:

Post a Comment