Monday, March 13, 2017

Days 11 & 12...frustrated...

Saturday (3/11) was a fun day, but exhausting and full of temptations. The morning started with a ward breakfast at the church. I knew going into it there wouldn't be anything I could eat, but I wanted to take Nathan and the kids anyway and socialize with friends. As I expected, the tables were filled with delicious smelling casseroles all made with eggs (great), bacon (even greater)....and potatoes (annnnd nope). Since I'm tracking my macros so carefully, I need to be very aware of what is going into everything I eat. I'm sure people thought I was silly for not eating and rolling their eyes at me. But it was my choice and I'm glad I did it. Aside from the casseroles there were pans of cinnamon roll type baked goods, pancakes galore and sausage...which would've been fine to eat, but I hate it so I passed haha. There was fruit, but it was all the delicious, high-glycemic kinds that would use all of my carbs up in one go. So I sat and talked with friends and just enjoyed spending time with my family. And while it was hard in some sense...I actually found it surprisingly easy to just say no.

We had plans later in the day to surprise the kids with a trip to Disney on Ice in downtown SLC and then we were going to go to Tucanos for Nathan's (early) birthday dinner. At Disney on ice, I could feel my tummy starting to rumble from hunger, but I still avoided the treats all around me. Tucanos would be worth it. That place is heaven for anyone doing the ketogenic diet. However, when we got there, the wait was 2 hours. No way was my 2 year old going to wait 2 hours to eat, so we tried Rodizio grill which is basically the same thing. 90 minute wait. We ended up just going to Cafe Rio, which I LOVE...but ended up going over on my carbs just a tad. The Sweet Pork salad is one of my favorite foods in the world. I had them remove the rice and made sure to have no tortilla strips put on. Since I had a lot of carbs left to eat, I did eat about 1/3 of the giant tortilla it was in, though I probably shouldn't have. At the very least I've become SO much more aware of what has how many grams of carbs in it. And when it comes to eating more healthy, knowledge is definitely power.

Sunday was much easier and more relaxed. My foot was aching from walking around SLC all day Saturday (though I wore my boot to do it), so after church we just watched movies as a family. It was perfect. For dinner I made a spinach and artichoke stuffed chicken parmesan dish that turned out amazing. Ya gotta love a low carb dinner that tastes like comfort food. I drank lots of water and stayed way under my macros for the day and I felt really good about it.

And then I stepped on the scale this morning. I know I should only weigh once a week, but weighing daily is a habit I've had for over 5 years and it's not my top priority to break it just yet haha. The scale is inching up again and this is where I'm getting EXTREMELY frustrated. I KNOW that my big loss in week one was mostly, if not all, water weight. That's what happens when you go from a "normal/terrible" diet to a ketogenic one. Your body rids itself of a lot of water. But now I feel like I'm constantly retaining it. I feel bloated every morning when I wake up despite drinking lots of water, following my macros and not overdoing it on the sodium. I know I'm still learning how this way of eating works, since some of it goes against what I've always known/done...but I still feel like even if I weren't aiming for ketosis that what I'm doing is still a million times healthier than what I WAS doing...so why is the scale not going DOWN!?!?! I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing that seems to be lasting a long time, and I'm determined not to give up on this...but I wish I were seeing results. It's extremely hard to keep eating this way when it doesn't seem to be changing anything.

But then I remember that it is. My cravings are almost completely gone, I'm only eating when I'm hungry instead of when I'm bored/sad/cranky/happy/celebrating. I went from eating about 2000 calories a day to about 1300. And for the first time ever, I'm meal planning every day of the week. Those are HUGE changes and if anyone in my group were upset about that I'd give them a talking to! So why is that not good enough for me? If I keep it up, the physical/size changes will come. Right? I hope so. I really want to fit back into all of my clothes. But more than anything, when I'm ready to start teaching again, I don't want to re-injure myself because I'm putting too much weight strain on my body. It terrifies me.

So I'll keep going. And hopefully this time next week I'll see another loss. Motivation is hard to find when you're not seeing results. That's one thing that never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment